Saturday, January 16, 2010

Little Girls September 2009

Little Girls September

It’s been a couple of months since I last published a post. I’ve been in a creative rut and falling in love with a man named Jason. The little girls below are for the month of September 2009, in honor of my birth on September 25th 1968. I have had them started for some time but have had a challenge in finishing them.
1) I Have a Feeling…-10 years ago, I was with a friend shooting a Drag Queen Calendar called Hollywood is a Drag and they were short one drag queen and so I was asked if I wanted to do Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. This painting is taken from the calendar. I put the LA city backdrop as my Emerald City as I was not only born here, but I have come to absolutely love LA.
2) Becoming Me- One night in San Francisco, I dressed up in drag with my best friends and we went out to a house party. The words in the painting are part of who I am. Becoming me has taken me many years to accept. It has taken courage and acceptance. I am now at home with myself.
3) Rosa in Rosas- One night in Los Angeles, a group of friends dressed up and headed out to a club called Makeup at the El Rey Theater. I wore a rose patterned dress and after some years of doing drag a few times, I was told that I should pick a name. I picked Rosa. Not only did the name feel right, but also it is my Moms favorite flower.

Shortly, I will be finishing the 3 pieces for the month of October 2009. I have some catching up to do.

No comments: