Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sid and Coco

OK, so I’m a few days late, but here is what I meant to post on Monday. 

What do Coco Chanel and Sid Vicious have in common? 

Nothing that I know of other than they both had a great sense of iconic style. And with a simple Google search, I come to find that back in 2011 designer Kinder Aggugini launched a line of women’s clothes self described as Coco Chanel Marries Sid Vicious. A-ha, so I’m not the only one that sees them together. Makes me wonder what a dinner conversation between them would have been like? If Coco were to say to him, “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.” I think Sid would have listened closely. He’s the ultimate icon when it comes to the punk era; he was definitely different! And to this day, defines a look that is irreplaceable. 

A few days ago, while working in NYC, I also came to find out that in May, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is going to be exhibiting Punk: Chaos to Couture. I’m so excited! I’ll have to make a special trip especially since I just finished reading Sid’s biography Too Fast too Live. It was short and quite sad. (Odd Note: The story goes that when a woman asked him to fuck her because she wanted something to remember him by, instead of fucking her he shat on her.) I don't hink Coco would have approved. 

In wondering what to read on my way back to LA, I remembered having seen Coco Chanel’s biography at Chelsea Market bookstore. When I went back to purchase the book, I instead found “Seven Days in the Art World" by Sarah Thornton.” 50+ pages in and so far it’s been an interesting read about the art world. It makes me wonder about my own career? Is it worth it? Will I receive recognition? As I keep reading, I hope I’m not dissuaded, but rather inspired to keep working on my art regardless of any success. 

The portraits here are of Sid and Coco, it kind of sounds better than Sid and Nancy. I had forgotten about Gary Oldman and Courtney Love’s performances; they were both brilliant. Again, thanks to the Internet, I saw for the first time Sid’s original performance of "My Way." I wasn’t too impressed, but nonetheless I’m still a fan. 

But through it all, when there was doubt 
I ate it up and spit it out 
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way 

There is no other way to live our lives...BE DIFFERENT!

No comments: