Thursday, March 19, 2009

Little Girls for March

I decided to do 3 “Little Girls” for the month of March. They are in honor of my all time favorite TV show and actress, 'I Love Lucy' and Lucille Ball. As I was walking to work one morning and thinking about the finished pieces, I got teary-eyed as I thought about the many mornings I have spent watching the show. I felt a great sense of gratitude for the many years of laughter, smiles, and joy that she has brought into my life. (Maybe that’s why I’m called Ricky). Even to this day, I am still watching the shows and cracking up out loud. While at Berkeley, I even scheduled my classes around the morning shows. I admired her for her courage to be a comedian and not just your glamorous Hollywood starlet.

The Paintings

1) Lucy’s Rosy Red Ball- It is my favorite dress she wore on the show, I think she looked absolutely beautiful in it.
2) Lucy’s Chocolate Covered Ball- This is definitely one of my favorite episodes. Just watching her face/eyes as she shoves the chocolates into her mouth, still makes me laugh out loud.
3) Lucy’s Friendship Ball- I loved that even though they had their quarrels, Ethel and Lucy were always best of friends.

The different colored balls represent the different personas that Lucy played. Any future painting of her will have a different colored ball.

If you are interested in having another Lucy image from you personal favorite episodes, I am more than happy to have it commissioned.

1 comment:

Roger said...

I always liked the epsisode when they are in the car driving to California. Ricky singing and Lucy with the wind in her hair, total freedon and excitment. I see the "ball" being her eyes reflecting the new begining she going to experience. I have one more, how about a piece called "Charlotte Sometimes" in honor of The Cure. Did'nt you do one back in high schoool called "Mr. Pink Eyes" or I am just imagining things? The possibilities are endless with how to inturpet Cure songs. I just donwloaded a bunch of B-Sides; Man Inside My Mouth, A Moment After This, Throw Your Foot Away. Great songs that still can be appreciated loud.