Friday, August 3, 2012

Oh Leigh Pics



Good Morning World. 

My watching of the Olympics continues. I can’t get enough! Today’s post is dedicated to pop icon and all around genius Leigh Bowery. Recently, I received my book of pictures of Leigh in all his glory. Olympics-Oh Leigh Pics. Get it? 

Earlier on in the week, I found myself consumed on Youtube; I spent hours searching for stuff. I started off with Amanda Lepore and ended up watching videos of Leigh. I just purchased his biography on EBay. Though I never personally met him, I was lucky enough to see him perform at ’93 Wigstock in the now famous ‘birth’ scene. It’s something I’ll never forget! You have to see it for yourself. Here’s a link: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtZ_cnMsWo4&feature=related 

The piece here is titled “Legend of Leigh.” Leigh obviously inspires it. What an imagination he had. While on Youtube, I found a clip of Rosie O’Donnell giving an interview about Leigh. In talking about his life, she says, “His was so much less of a desire of the result as it was enjoying the voyage to it.” How often have we heard about enjoying the process, the journey as much as the destination? And for Leigh to have lived his life in such a manner is truly inspiring. As an artist, I have found that there is a greater joy in the actual process than in seeing the finished product. But this only happens when I stop to observe. It is in observation that we see the beautiful miracles happening throughout our days. 

Considering that the majority of Olympians do not receives medals, one can probably say that what also counts is the journey getting there. 

Enjoy the moments and the weekend ahead.

No comments: