Friday, August 10, 2012

Please Quote Me on That

It’s a beautiful sunny Friday! I have a feeling that as Jimmy Cliff sings, “It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshinin' day” 

He also sings, “Oh yes, I can make it now the pain is gone. All of the bad feelings have disappeared” Though life has been better than before, not all the ‘bad feelings have disappeared.’ But it’s great to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. It’s been a process of meditation, walking, writing, reading, painting and the love of friends and family. I’m going to make it! 

For as long as I can remember, I have collected quotes. Just recently there was one by Benjamin Franklin that struck a nerve. “On the whole, though I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet as I was, by the endeavor, a better and a happier man than I otherwise should have been had I not attempted it.” 

Boy, he couldn’t have said it any better. It is in this strive for perfection that I continue to challenge myself. Though in the process, I beat myself up and others, I have grown and evolved because of it. Without it change wouldn’t happen. 

Even as I write, British singer Emile Sande sings ‘I am full of light, I am full of wonder.’ What a beautiful song to hear at just the right time. I love it when this happens. I will take her words out with me out into the day. 

With both Franklin and Sande’s words I thought of a man named Jesus. I think he would agree with them. It was through his endeavors of being the best man he could possibly be that he continues to be a light in our world. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Jesus freak, but I believe him to have been an amazing human being with a great message of love. The piece here is from my LITTLE Jesus series; it’s titled “Jesus Inspire.” There’s a little Amanda Lepore and me in this piece. 

Through our words we can affect one another. Though our words we can change and inspire. Through are words we are connected. As Robert Fulghum writes, "As hard as I have tried to speak in my own voice, I realize now how much of what I have said is neither original nor unique... Thought is forever being revived, recycled, and renewed. 

Have a beautiful weekend. 

No comments: